Followers

Friday, January 30, 2009

Bigger Than It Appears


I'll never forget the first time Tom and I had the chance to go to the Northwest. We were on a plane and the pilot told us that we would be passing Mt. Rainier and to be watching out our windows for the spectacular view. There were other mountains below, and I kept thinking...is that it? Is that it? Until we actually saw it! I had no idea how large and beautiful Mt. Rainier was! What I was looking for was small and unimpressive compared to what this grand mountain was in reality.

How often do I treat God and His Word in the same way? I have expectations that are small in comparison to who God really is. This morning as I read through Genesis about Jacob with his two wives, Rachel and Leah, and all their jealousies, deceit and lies, I realized that God used these women - despite their ungodly competition to bring about God's promises. This is our God. He is bigger and more glorious than I know, and He uses us despite our sinful hearts to display His glory for a watching world. This is why we travel together on Route 66. While we're looking through the window of His Word we never know when His glory will fill our eyes in a way we never expected! And we will gasp in awe at how big our God is.

May His glory fill your window!

1 comment:

Debi Walter said...

From Cindy Thomas:

Hello Debi, I just wanted to drop you a line that I really appreciated your blog about Mt. Rainier. I grew up in Olympia/Seattle, and saw "the mountain" as we call it just about every day, so I can really appreciate your analogy. Thank you!

Post a Comment