Followers

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Postcard From The Road


Good Evening Travelers,

Tom and I love to listen to oldies music when we take road trips. It adds nostalgia and fun to a long day on the road.

As I was reading in the book, "Worldliness" this morning, I was challenged by which radio station I'm listening to as I travel. I may think that music doesn't have a negative effect on me because I don't immediately take a dive spiritually, but I miss the truth that music does indeed influence me. It can cause my conscience to soften, my heart to harden and my affections to grow cold. It's because that we don't see an immediate change that we let down our guard and think it's okay. But drifting however slow is still drifting.

In the same way we can make excuses why we don't read daily in God's Word because we don't see any immediate benefits from it. We may think this daily discipline doesn't really accomplish much because we don't see any obvious changes. But how wrong we are. God has promised us that His Word NEVER returns void, but it accomplishes it's purposes in us. What a glorious truth! Our feelings don't matter, our perceptions don't matter, and whether or not we sense a profound change in our lives doesn't matter. God is at work in us as we travel this road.

So, turn your radio to a great worship channel and let's enjoy the scenery as we continue down Route 66 - because it all matters!

Enjoying the Journey!

2 comments:

Debi Walter said...

From Anna Jelstrom:

I found this quote in the reading (Wordliness) profound:
“We don’t accidentally drift into holiness; rather, we mature gradually and purposefully, one choice at a time. In the Christian walk, we can’t just step onto the right path and figure all is well. Christian discipleship is a lifelong journey consisting of a series of countless steps. Each step matters...”

Debi Walter said...

From Alexa Schulman:
THANK YOU!!! My mom just recently erased all the music off my ipod on accident while downloading something on our computer. I was frustrated to have to load all my music back onto my ipod, but then I decided to only load my worship music. I just got some more great worship cd's and I'm loving the fact that I can always count on being encouraged spiritually when I put in my earphones or plug my ipod into the car. =D

Post a Comment